Thursday, February 11, 2021

Emotional Fuel

1.) In two paragraphs (4-6 sentences in each paragraph), discuss a time when someone or a group of individuals fueled you emotionally. Was it one person or a group of people? When did this take place? What did they say or do to fuel you? Did they create a shared vision with you? Utilize your "ME" diagram and your class notes to guide your response. 

The most recent account of someone or a group of people fueling me emotionally was when I was working through physical therapy after my knee reconstruction surgery. The people at inspired physical therapy became a second family to me, and they constantly supported and encouraged me throughout each month and milestone of my recovery. My personal physical therapist was especially important in helping me balance my emotions and guiding me through the roughest moments. He worked with me to establish goals each month and together we created a plan to get me back to my original physical state. He pushed me and made sure to hold me accountable for he constantly asked if I was keeping up with my exercises and performing the drills outside of our appointments. He invested time in and out of our sessions to help answer my questions and adjust my concerns. He also took the time to establish a connection with my surgeon to email him routine check-ins and update him on our progress. He helped me learn how to trust myself and use my leg again.

2.) Why do you think we need accountability and support in our lives as leaders?


I think that leaders need accountability and support in their lives in order to make sure that they are not going off track or working themselves too thin. Having other people hold you accountable helps a leader stay focused. While checking for accountability, a leader also becomes aware of whether or not they are doing things for the right reasons. Having other people there to support you is also very important when it comes to being a leader because not everyone is perfect. Even leaders need someone to turn to for advice or comfort in times of need or struggle. Emotions are just as important as intelligence. Thus, having a good support system is key to keeping mental stability as well as an ineffective intellectual state.


3.) A frequently quoted proverb says, As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. List ways one person can sharpen another person in a relationship.


There are many different ways in which one person can sharpen another person in a relationship. For instance, teammates help push one another to be better and play both smarter and harder. Moreover, everyone is different in their own way, so one person’s strength can be another person’s weakness. We all bring something unique to the table that others can learn from and use to better themselves and grow individually. Other people also see you from a perspective other than your own, so they can give you unbiased, constructive criticism and help you see sides of yourself that you might have otherwise been unaware or ignorant of.


4.) How does using symbolic language/images and being unique provide emotional fuel to others?


 Using symbolic language can help provide emotional fuel to others because it establishes a connection between you and the other person. Symbols make conversations, thoughts, and actions more meaningful. It shows that you are taking time to analyze, understand, and respond to them and their words. Symbolic language and images are also usually specific and confidential between you and the other person, which brings you closer together and makes your support system stronger. Being unique also provides emotional fuel to others because different perspectives offer different benefits. Variety and new opinions teach us things we would not normally explore or consider.


5.) What are the weak spots where you need the counsel of others in your life? Are there areas where you feel you have an empty tank?


Personally, I need the counsel of others to make sure I am not taking too many projects on at a time. I have always had the desire to participate in as many events as I can. However, my fear of missing out, can lead me to overwork and overbook myself. I need the counsel of others to help me realize my limits. I also need others to help call me down. Because I try to take on too many things at once, I can become easily overwhelmed and stressed. Having the guidance and reassurance of others helps me take a step back and realize what I am already doing is enough. I feel as though I need more partners. I find it hard to find people who share my same aspirations and drive to succeed in both academics and physical activity. 


3 comments:

  1. One of the statements you've made was very moving ..."Symbols make conversations, thoughts, and actions more meaningful." I think this is so important when it comes to working with others. Even your body language could interpret positivity or negativity. You must always be mindful of all symbols (animate or inanimate).

    - Calvin J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that even through a bad experience (your surgery) you still found the good in it and made strong relationships at physical therapy. What was your biggest challenge after surgery and what did you learn from that experience.?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your story about what fueled you. The fact that you were able to still build positive connections throughout that time is great. I also really liked what you said about symbols also, the way you worded it couldn't have been any better.

    ReplyDelete

The Starving Baker

   1). In your opinion, why is personal growth and wellness a key characteristic to good leadership? I think that personal growth is a major...